Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cedar Kayak - Day 12

The book says that "there are few things more satisfying than pushing a sharp plane across a section of cedar". I decided to give it a try since it sounded so appealing. My arm is tired and I got a blister on my finger, but I can see how someone with limited life enjoyment could find this process "satisfying". I have to admit, seeing the strips of wood blend together was somewhat addictive. I had to be careful not to take it too far.


After planning most of the surface, some gaps appeared that needed to be filled. I made a mixture of glue & sawdust, something I have experience with from other jobs, and filled the staple holes and minor gaps. I found a larger gap that at an angled joint that I filled with a small splinter of wood. It's best to be patient while waiting for glue to dry. I'll finish planning tomorrow.


Project Elapsed Time: 52 Hrs


No comments: