Friday, January 25, 2008

Cedar Kayak - Day 3




Today I worked on cutting the center sections out of each form station. The bow and stern end sections took a little more work because I opted to use a separate piece of wood (southern yellow pine) for the beveled section. You can see it is attached to the forms with hot glue. Hopefully I will be able to break it off and have it become a permanent internal support of the finished kayak.





I decided to take some time out to build pair of boat stands. It looks simple enough and I had some white pine 2x4's in stock. Not only will it be a great strongback support, but after the boat is finished, it can be converted to a soft storage rack. This was a nice idea from the book.










This is what I have to show for my work today. There was a little more work involved than just threading the 2x4 through the form stations. For one, there is a straight line marked down the center and side of the 2x4 strongback. This is to aide in the alignment of each form. I am still struggling to figure out the best way to verify the alignments. There seems to be a variety of methods, including trusting your eye to sight down the lines. There are many websites, including a forum discussing the pros and cons of these methods. I'll be researching this tonight.








Project Elapsed time: 16 Hrs.

1 comment:

NumberOne Librarian said...

Eyeballing? Scary... What are the other techniques?