Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cedar Kayak - Day 2


I finished my reading for the next step this morning and began preparing the forms. A few months ago I purchased the full size prints from the kayak designer, Nick Schade, who also authored the instructional book I am using. I will be using the prints as templets for the patterns.
I rough cut each of the 22 patterns from the prints and glued them to a 1/2" thick piece of A/C plywood. After a quick rough cut with the saber saw, I carefully cut the patterns on the band saw and cleaned up the edges with the palm sander. They all look pretty good, but I still need to cut the center holes that the 12 foot 2x4 will run through. I'll save that for tomorrow.















I have to do some more reading to get ready for the assembly of the patterns. Just a note, in the "elapsed time" below, I am not accounting for casual reading of the manual that I often do in the evening. However, I do account for any necessary reading time while at the woodshop.


Project Elapsed Time: 10.5 hrs



No comments: